Don’t you think walking brings a lot of help in weight loss? We live with the impression that we need to work hard every day in the gym, or to run dozens of kilometres per month to lose a few pounds. What if I tell you that weight loss can happen only with walking? Let’s get into detail and see what rules we must follow.
How To Lose Weight Walking?
Every step counts, no matter where you go, you do something good for your body. Ideal for weight loss though, is to walk at least 40 minutes in a slightly faster pace. If you check your heart rate on a smart watch, try to maintain around 70% of your maximum cardiac frequency. Slow pace walking, or too fast, can be counterproductive. If you have hills or stairs on your course, it’s a great addition. Also, it’s more beneficial for your body to walk in fresh air than in a polluted city.
If you follow the number of steps per day, the absolute minimum for your health is 5000 steps per day. If you walk to lose weight, try to achieve at least 8000 – 10.000 steps per day. Is this number too scary for you? Don’t worry. You will notice during a walk in the park, that your steps are adding up in a blink of an eye.
At first you will feel obligated to walk that much, but soon it will become your ritual. Start small, with a 40 minutes’ walk, twice per week, and slightly add more rounds.
Why Choose Walking To Lose Weight?
- You can walk anytime anywhere and you don’t need anything. During vacation, or lunch break, or after dinner. Anytime you can and anywhere, the possibilities are limitless. Pun on some comfortable shoes, dress up and let’s burn some calories. Shoes are very important for your walking comfort. Pay attention to your choice and take some shoes that is not too tight, and has enough room for the toes. Choose the ideal pair!
- You will know better your house and enjoy every moment. You will see that if you walk on the same road, usually going to work, you will notice a lot of new details and will make the journey more enjoyable. Choose to walk on one of the side streets, to uncover your city hidden charm.
- You will visit places that are forbidden for automobiles. Mountains, forests, meadows, all of these are places you can reach only on foot. The warm sensation you have when you lay on top of the mountain, knowing that you climbed it yourself, enjoying that astonishing view, It’s priceless.
- You will not overstress your joints and you will not cause certain imbalances. A lot of sports develop great requests for your musculoskeletal system.
- You don’t have to swim in your own sweat or to try to catch your breath, one hour after training. For efficient weight loss, you don’t have to exploit every training to the maximum. It’ also ok to come back home, in a dry t-shirt after one hour walk. It’s more comfortable like this for everyone, than feeling like a smelly locomotive after 20 minutes of running.
Calories And Walking To Lose Weight
What interests you the most is how many calories you burn while walking. So, if we take a regular man that weighs 80 kg and send him in a relaxing 5 kilometres walk, will burn over 300 calories. Just for you to make an idea, it’s the equivalent of two and a half rolls of white bread. For a nice hour in a rural environment, it’s a nice reward, no?
Average Walking Speed
The average walking speed of someone, it’s about 5 kilometres per hour. Walking speed for weight loss varies from person to person, depending of the weight, performance and health. With all of these being said, detect the ideal walking speed based on cardiac frequency.
Walking With Sticks
Walking with sticks, with the condition to use them properly, burns with 20% more calories than walking without them. You will involve more muscles in the movement, besides legs, and put more tension on your arms and back. As you go down on the mountain, they will help you divide better the stress, and you will not be bothered by leg or knee pain.
Adjust the sticks according to the heights. Multiply the height with a 0.68 factor and you will get the ideal height for the sticks. When you walk, make sure that the stick is in a straight angle to the forearm. Also, pay attention to the opposite hand and opposite leg coordination.
Walking – Other Benefits
- Improves your mental health
- Lowers the risk for certain types of cancer
- Helps the immune system stimulation
- Can be effective in diabetes prevention
- Reduce the sweet cravings and the need of “stress eating”
- Great benefits for cardiovascular health
- Long term benefits for elders