𝑾𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝑨𝒓𝒆 𝑺𝒒𝒖𝒂𝒕𝒔? Squats are one of the best exercises for training your inferior side of the body. If you execute them correctly, most of the focus will be on legs, glutes and core. If we analyze them from the utility point of view, you will notice that you actually do them very often. When those keys drop and you reach down for them, or when you tie your shoelaces, you do a certain type of squat. The only difference between those examples and when you do them in the gym, is the fact that you pay more attention on the execution and muscle contraction.
𝑾𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝑴𝒖𝒔𝒄𝒍𝒆𝒔 𝒀𝒐𝒖 𝑻𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏 𝑾𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝑺𝒒𝒖𝒂𝒕𝒔 ? This famous exercise is indicated for legs and glutes. Using the right posture and more variations of squats, more muscle groups can be engaged.
With a standard bodyweight squat, you will engage:
1. Tight muscles
6. Abdominal muscles
7. Calf muscles
If you use weights and try other squat variations, you can also engage:
1. Back muscles
4. Interior and exterior abdominal muscles
𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑹𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝑻𝒆𝒄𝒉𝒏𝒊𝒒𝒖𝒆 𝑶𝒇 𝑺𝒒𝒖𝒂𝒕 𝑬𝒙𝒆𝒄𝒖𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏? It’s a no brainer, the right technique will help you maximize the effort and avoid accidents. How you do it? Keep reading
1. Fix the bar from the Smith machine to a height lower than your shoulders with 10-15 centimeters
2. Take position with your face to the bar and slightly bend your knees. After you go under the bar, it should rest on your traps.
3. Rotate the bar to unlock it and then straighten your legs. The width between your feet should be somewhere around 25-30 centimeters, but it can be wider no problem. Your toes should face a little bit in exterior to have better stability.
4. Take a deep breath and slowly lower the weights. This movement, where you do down with the weight until the “final” position, should last around 3-4 seconds. Keep going down until the knees form a 90 degrees angle. When you execute the exercise, keep your head up and look straight forward.
5. When you push the weight up, focus not to change your knee position. Also this part of the movement should be done with more speed, to activate those fast twitch muscle fibers.
6. When you reach up, in the “start” position, make sure not to lock those knees. Doing that, you will transfer all the tension from the cvadriceps.
7. After the set is finished, don’t forget to lock the bar. This means to rotate the bar forward to fix the support hooks.
So, squats on smith machine, the so called multipress, it’s an excellent instrument for those that have a balance problem. Also a problem of keeping that back straight. This device always keeps a movement trajectory, from which you will not deviate for sure.